Wednesday, February 10, 2010

the return of tasty tuesday...but now on weight watchers wednesday!

hey there ~

I have had alot of feed back regarding my weight watchers wednesday posts...people love them...who would have thought? It is funny as many of us feel alone in our struggle with our weight and weight loss, but it is really more common than one would have thought (I know just from the comments I get from these posts) we just aren't all brave enough (or stupid enough) to talk about it.

So - I am dedicating Wednesdays to weight loss from here on out and promise to post about my never ending (or so it seems) journey to being thin. But since I don't want to turn this into ranting and raving or the same old post each week...I thought I would spice it up a bit and give you a recipe each week along with my progress. This also satisfies those who have asked me to share my menus or "give them the recipe". I only pull my recipes from healthy sources (WW cookbooks & mags, Clean Eating, Cooking Light, etc.) so the recipes are guaranteed to be healthy and we have already taste tested them so I am sharing my family favorites...and with a picky husband and 2 picky kids...they should be sure to please your family as well.

With that all said I will get right on to the recipe since my weigh ins have been all messed up. I haven't been able to make my normal meeting time lately and I just can't seem to find the time to get to another...I will be going tonight but I really don't think it is going to be a stellar performance. Could be the hot wings, blue cheese dressing and beer I HAD to have for dinner at 9:30 Monday night, or the Panera sandwich that was calling my name after I showed up to get weighed in and found the WW center closed...ok, really who puts a WW center between a Panera Bread & Old Country Buffet, next to a Lindt Chocolate store and in the same plaza as a KFC, Burger King, Olive Garden, Bertuccis and a few other yummy places...well, I guess probably a smart person who knows I have NO will power.

Any whoo - off the tangent and on with the recipe:

Oven Fried Chicken

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half or 1 drumstick and 1 thigh)

Ingredients
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 large egg whites, beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 chicken breast halves, skinned (about 1 pound)
2 chicken thighs, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
2 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
2 tablespoons canola oil
Cooking spray

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in a shallow dish; stir well with a whisk. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a separate shallow dish; stir well. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture; dredge in flour mixture.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet; lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 450 (28% from fat); Fat:13.8g (sat 2.5g,mono 6.1g,poly 3.6g); Protein:43.5g; Carbohydrate: 35.3g; Fiber: 1.7g; Cholesterol: 109mg; Iron:3.2mg; Sodium:803mg;
Calcium: 88mg

Julianna Grimes Bottcher, Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2006

I served with mashed potatoes and peas.

Enjoy ~
Tracy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails