Tuesday, April 12, 2011

goodbye mac & cheese

I make one mean mac & cheese if I do say so myself.  It is often requested at home and on holidays.  I found the recipe a few years back in Country Woman Magazine.  I am pretty sure I remember reading that the original recipe was submitted to either The Farmer's Wife Magazine or Farm Wife Magazine in 1971 by a mid west farmer's wife .  I don't know about you, but in my book that kind of recipe is pure home cooked goodness and worth a try!

So why goodbye mac & cheese?  I can't have it for awhile, not never again, but not for a while.  I am on a new weight loss journey...one involving a hypnotist and an advanced version of the South Beach Diet.  I have tried many options and unfortunately I have this problem with finding all the weight I have lost.  Every time, without fail.  I love food, but I love being thin more.  I have tried to do it myself, but well, I need a little help.  So, I got hypnotized and will be following her weight loss plan.  The mac & cheese will once again become a treat, but not quite yet.

I will keep you updated on my progress (I am currently in week 2 and doing just fine!).  Until then, please make your family a big batch of my mac & cheese and enjoy every bite for me.


Rich 'n' cheesy macaroni
2 -1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
6  tablespoons butter (divided)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp sugar
2 cups milk
3/4 lb cheese ends
1 - 1/3 cups small curd cottage cheese
2/3 cup sour cream
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 -1/2 cups soft bread crumbs

cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.  Place in a greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish.  In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter.  Stir in flour, salt and sugar until smooth.  Gradually stir in milk.  Bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Reduce hear; stir in cheese until melted.  Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream.  Pour over macaroni.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 deg. for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield:  6-8 servings (of pure cheesy goodness)

1 comment:

April Kennedy said...

thanks for your comment today! it gave me chills. so happy you were touched and inspired. :)

I'm off to clean up my childrens' room happily!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails